Whether you’re happy or sad to see 2022 go, one thing is sure: Another holiday season is upon us!
Even if you’ve taken great care of yourself during the year, most of us struggle to maintain those healthy habits during the holidays. In fact, the average American will gain eight pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.
How can you enjoy the upcoming holidays without derailing your physical and mental health? Here are 15 holiday health tips to put into practice — starting today.
How to Stay Healthy All Winter Long
1. Embrace moderation. Eat a light lunch before a large family gathering and be mindful of how much alcohol you consume. Resist the urge to go back for seconds and thirds, especially for desserts.
2. Eat more vegetables and fruits while limiting sugar along with processed, canned, and premade foods.
3. Wash your hands often (for at least 20 seconds) to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses.
4. Take a few minutes each day to silence your phone, pause the holiday planning, and recharge with some much-needed self-care.
5. Stay active. Try to maintain your normal exercise routine as much as possible. If nothing else, take a walk before breakfast and after dinner.
6. Always dress for the weather. Bundle up with warm layers, scarves, gloves, hats, and waterproof shoes. Beware of icy conditions and limit your time outside in extreme temperatures.
7. Take care of your skin. Use a moisturizer daily and always wear sunscreen, even on overcast days.
8. Always fasten your seatbelt and insist everyone else in the car does the same. Avoid drinking and driving. Don’t let friends or family members get behind the wheel if they’ve had too much to drink.
9. Most house fires occur in December and January, so always practice fire safety at home. Never leave fireplaces, candles, or space heaters unattended. Always monitor food cooking in the kitchen.
10. Keep your children and pets safe during the festivities. Make sure that potentially hazardous foods, toys, cleaning supplies, decorations, and other objects are safely out of reach.
11. Prioritize safety while participating in winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sledding, or tubing. Always wear a helmet, respect weather conditions, and never push beyond your current ability level.
12. Try to stick to your usual sleep and wake schedule. If you stay up late one night, make sure to get a few extra hours of sleep throughout the rest of the week.
13. Drink extra water to stay hydrated, tame food cravings, and help your body recover from your busy holiday schedule.
14. Learn to say “no” if you start to feel overwhelmed. Spending time with family and friends is great, but it can also be mentally and emotionally taxing. Allow yourself time to recharge between social engagements.
15. Take care of your body and give your mental health a boost with an invigorating massage or a relaxing facial treatment (or both!)
Holiday Health Tips: Get Started Today
The holidays are about good times with family and friends, so don’t let illnesses, injuries, or overindulgence get in the way.
Use these holiday health tips to keep yourself and your family safe and healthy this holiday season. If you do, you can put your best foot forward as we all step into 2023!
One of the best ways to take care of your physical and mental health is to schedule regular bodywork. If it’s been a while since your last massage or facial, prioritize self-care and book a session at Apres Massage & Facial today!